TRAVEL-TOURISM-12-2

Unit 17
The art of Negotiation

職場攻略/市場業務
Workplace English/Communication Skills

BRAIN STORM

Share your ideas with your teacher and try to make sentences.

Have you tried negotiating?

VOCABULARY

Repeat  these  sentences  after  your  teacher.

1. replenished   (v.) 重新填滿、補充
Our pantry has been replenished yesterday.
我們的儲藏室已於昨天補貨。 

2. speaker (n.) 議長
There were rumors that he would resign as Speaker after 1982.
謠傳他將在一九八二年後辭去議長的職務。

3. bill (n.) 法案
The House of Commons has not yet passed the bill. 
下議院尚未通過該議案。

4. under any circumstances (phr.) 無論如何
Do not open the door under any circumstances.
在任何情況下都不要打開門。

5. politicize (v.) 政治化
Do not politicize donation campaigns.
不要將捐贈運動政治化。 

6. raided (n.) 掠奪
Our troops raided the enemy camp.
我們的部隊襲擊了敵營。 

7. jeopardizing (v.) 危害、危及
Stop jeopardizing your freedom!
停止危害您的自由! 

Dialogue

Read the dialogue aloud with your teacher.

Gentlemen, the hurricane. I need the DRF replenished.
先生們,颶風要來了。我需要為災害重建基金會補充資金。

The speaker’s calling for an emergency session tonight.
議長今晚會招集緊急會議。

We’re prepared to allocate 10 billion.
我們準備好撥款100億美金。

I was only gonna ask for 8.
我本來只想著80億。

You sign the bill, you’ll get the 10 billion. But no FEMA money or any other agency funds can be used for your jobs program again under any circumstances.
如果你簽署這個法案,你就能拿到100億。但是在任何情況下你都不能再動用FEMA或其它聯邦機構的資金來資助你的就業法案。

Don’t politicize this. America Works and the hurricane are two separate issues.
別把這個和政治扯上邊。美國就業計劃和颶風是兩回事。

Excuse me, Mr. President, but you’re the one that raided the DRF for political purposes. We’re correcting a wrong.
抱歉,總統先生,但是你才是為了達到政治目的挪用災害重建基金的人。我們在糾正你犯的錯誤。

And jeopardizing the entire Eastern seaboard.
你這樣做會危及到整個東海岸。

That’s on the White House, not on us.
那是白宮的錯,不是我們的。

We’re supplying the funds. The money you took illegally.
我們已經撥款給救災基金了。是你非法挪用了錢。

If you choose not to sign the bill, we can’t be blamed. We stepped up.
如果你不簽這個法案,也不是我們的錯。我們已經挺身而出了。

I thought you might try to make this about America Works. And look, I admit I may have overstepped. But let me show you something. Every day I asked the Comms office to give me profiles of 10 AmWork’s beneficiaries. These are success stories. These are just the fraction of the 40,000 people that we‘ve put back to work.
我知道你是想把救災和美國就業計劃混為一談。好,我承認我可能做得過分了。但是你看一下這些材料。我每天都讓辦公室給我準備10份美國就業計劃受益人的檔案,他們都是成功的範例。這些人只是我們能幫助找到工作的4萬人中的一小部分。

With money that wasn’t appropriated for that purpose.
但你用了不該用在這件事上的錢。

You don’t get to break the piggy bank and ask us to glue it together and put in more pennies.
對,你不能自己把存錢罐打破了,然後讓我們把它粘好,再往裡面放錢。

I’ve got over 50 Democrats and Republicans in both Houses that have publicly supported American Works since its introduction. The tide is turning. Your own people are getting behind the program.
自從美國就業計劃剛頒布,就有超過50位民主黨和共和黨黨員在兩院都公開支持。現在形勢變了。你自己的人也在支持這個計劃。

Then where are they now? Why aren’t we getting calls? Why do they all support this emergency bill?
這些人在哪兒?為什麼沒人給我們打電話?為什麼他們反而都支持這個緊急(救災)法案?

If you pass it, I’ll veto it. But there’s no reason we have to turn this into a pissing match.
如果你通過這個法案,我會否決它。但是我們不用拿這件事鬥氣。

You know that we have the votes to override your veto.
你知道我們的票數足以推翻你的否決。

It passed in 10 days without a signature regardless.
無論如何,它在10天內就通過了,沒有一個簽名。

The only question is whether you’re gonna sign it before that hurricane hits or watch it become law after thousands have died.
現在的問題是,要麼你在颶風襲擊之前簽署法案。要么就等著數千人送命,然後眼睜睜看著它變成法律。

Henry, I sat with Hector dozens of times at this very table. And we were always able to work out our differences, to negotiate.
Henry,我曾經跟Hector坐在這張桌子前幾十次。每一次我們總能找到解決分歧的辦法,一起協商。

This isn’t Hector’s office anymore, or his table.
可是這裡現在不是Hector的辦公室,也不是他的桌子。

Gentlemen, is there no room for a compromise?
先生們,沒有妥協的餘地了嗎?

None.
沒有。

Bob?
Bob?

No, Mr. President.
沒有,總統先生。

Grammar

No matter what

“No matter what” and “under any circumstances” have very similar meanings: regardless of A, B will still happen, However, there is a bit of a difference in usage. First, “under any circumstances” is a little more formal than “no matter what”. Second, and more importantly, “under any circumstances” is almost always connected to something that will not happen. “No matter what”, on the other hand, can be both positive and negative: something could happen, or something could not happen.

1. I’ll love you no matter what happens to us.

2. You are not under any circumstances to discuss this with anybody. Do you understand?

3. No matter what consequences I may have to face, I know this is something that I have to do.

4. I won’t go into that creepy old house under any circumstances!

5. _____________________________________________________________________.

DISCUSSION

Make a conversation with your teacher.

1.Why do you think it is important to have good negotiation skills?